Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Fish Sticks




Several weeks ago, I had dinner at a restaurant in Dallas with my Mom and Aunt. We had an off-menu swordfish dish. It was amazing. It melted on my tongue. It didn't have that disgusting fishy taste. I was intrigued. And then my grocery store started carrying frozen swordfish which looked like it had been flash frozen while still on the boat.

I tried to recreate that fantastic swordfish at home.

And failed miserably.

And I had another swordfish filet that was thawed and really needed to be cooked.

Enter munchkins.

I have discovered that Trip will try any food I put in front of him for money.

I figured if I made the preparation simple, Trip would easily (and cheaply) take the bait to try this new fish.

I offered Logan the same deal, but there was no bribing that rotten, little munchkin.


The lineup:

Swordfish filet, sliced into strips
flour
Lawry's seasoned salt
pepper
Olive oil

On a plate, gently mix approximately 1/2 cup of flour, 1 tsp of Lawry's seasoned salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper. Dredge the swordfish sticks in the flour mixture, evely coating all sides.

In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until hot. Fry the fish sticks about 1 minute on each side, until browned, making sure not to overcook.

Drain on a paper towel. Serve with tartar sauce or whatever condiment your little munchkin likes. Mine ate his plain.


Trip first took the tiniest bites possible of the fish stick. Then I announced that it was bedtime. Trip put his foot down, made demands. He refused to go to bed until he finished his fishstick!


No comments:

Post a Comment